Sunday, April 12, 2009

6 Annoying Things People Say When You Tell Them You're From Washington

Sunday, April 12, 2009
I posted this list on my MySpace account while I was living in San Angelo, TX. I got a lot of positive feedback on it at the time, so I thought I'd share it with all of you. If you've read it before, my apologies. If you haven't seen it yet, please enjoy.

Having had lived most of my life in Washington State, I never really had to deal with the stereotypes that people believe of Washingtonians. That is until I moved to San Angelo- a place made up of not only native Texans who have probably never left the state, but also includes a large number of military folk from all over the country. So I have decided to compile a list of annoying things that people have said and/or asked me about Seattle and Washington:

1) Wow, so you're from Washington? Have you been to the White House?
(It's Washington STATE, not D.C. you idiots- but yes, I have been to the White House)

2) If you're from Seattle, you must LOVE coffee.
(Nope, I hate it royally)

3) Don't you hate how much it rains there?
(Actually, it rains WAY more in San Angelo, but for some reason no one knows how to drive in the rain and the drainage system sucks)

4) You must love Grey's Anatomy and Frasier, huh?
(Nope, can't stand Grey's Anatomy and I mostly dislike Frasier- just because a show is set in my hometown, doesn't mean everyone that's from there loves it; there's only so much enjoyment you can get out of seeing the Space Needle on TV.)

5) You must be a liberal democrat, right?
(Yeah, because to be from a blue state you have to be a democrat and to be from a red state you have to be a republican, right? I can't live where I want without aligning myself to the majority's political party?)

6) So are you really into grunge and Nirvana?
(Um, grunge hasn't been popular for over 10 years, plus do I LOOK like someone who's into grunge?)

So, to those of you who are native Washingtonians who have been subject to these stupid questions, I sympathize with you. To those of you who haven't-be prepared next time you talk to an inquisitive out-of-towner. And to those of you not from the great state of Washington- please be kind and keep your dumb questions to yourself.

2 comments:

Jason said...

mollys favorite is once in college she said she was from seattle and someone responded by asking "so whats it like living in canada" but for serious and not a joke... someone who was an NYU student. just not majoring in geography.

Kari said...

You can add "So you must go to Canada A LOT?" to that list... I get that all the time when I go out of state...

PS - I didn't know you had a blog!

 
The Lady Doth Protest Too Much. ►