Friday, August 7, 2009

Crafts Part 2: Sewing

Friday, August 7, 2009
First off, sorry about the huge time gap between these posts. My first project from my sewing kick was a baby sling. We have a lot of friends having babies this year, so I was looking for something to make for friends having boys, friends having girls, and friends who didn't know what they were having. My mom and I made a baby sling for me when I was pregnant and Juliana loved it. It was pretty easy to make, plus buying a baby sling in the store can be pretty pricey, so I thought it would be a good idea. The pattern I used can be found at mykarmababy.com. I also used the scrap fabric to decorate some burp cloths and a bib.

I didn't think to take any pictures of the stuff I recently made for people before I sent them off, so here's a pic of the sling I made with my mom for Juliana.

This project got me into a sewing kick, so I looked online for some easy sewing projects. I found a pattern for a tote bag on sewmamasew.com. I wanted a diaper bag that looked less like a diaper bag and more like a purse and this one fit the bill. Plus it has a roomy pocket on the front for Jelly's sippy cups. So I made a couple for myself, so I could switch them out when one needed washing. I liked making them so much that I decided to start a shop on etsy.com so that I could sell them. I've only posted two bags so far (neither have sold yet) but I'm sewing more now, following a brief hiatus due to my mom breaking her ankle, and hope to be posting more within the next week or so.

Here are some pictures of my first two bags to be posted for sale on Etsy:
I like this picture because it shows how much the bags can hold.

So if you're in the market for some shopping bags (especially if they pass that dumb "charging for plastic grocery bags" law) or just a tote/beach bag, check out my Etsy shop, Bethany's Bags.

0 comments:

 
The Lady Doth Protest Too Much. ►